Apple TV is not a TV but a digital media player that comes in the form of a tiny box. It helps connect your television to over-the-top (OTT) services such as Hulu, HBO Max, Prime Video, Netflix, Youtube, etc.
Connected to the TV through HDMI cable, the Apple TV accesses the internet through a wired connection (Gigabit Ethernet port) or WiFi. It also features a remote control connected through IR communication and Bluetooth.
The Apple TV requires its remote control to navigate the TV menu to enter the Wi-Fi credentials. But in a situation where you can’t find your Apple TV remote, you don’t have to worry. Apple considered this could happen and prepared alternatives.
In this article, we will provide you with 5 easy ways on how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without remote. Keep reading to get this great guide.
How to Connect Apple TV to WiFi Without Remote
The Apple TV features a remote control that makes carrying out operations such as changing apps, connecting to a WiFi network, or even controlling the TV easier.
This remote also comes integrated with Apple’s Siri voice command system, meaning you can talk to the remote. But what happens if you upgraded your WiFi router or relocated but can’t find your remote to facilitate WiFi reconnection? What happens if you can’t connect your Apple TV to WiFI without remote?
Well, not to worry, here is how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without remote.
1. iPhone or iPad to the Rescue!
If you have an iPhone or iPad, you are in luck since you can use them to set up Apple TV to WiFi without remote. However, this trick only works for iPhones with iOS 12 or later and iPad with iPadOS 13 or later.
Not sure your device meets this OS requirement? Well, there is a chance it does, since Apple often updates older devices with the latest OS and software. However, do well to check your device iOS before trying this method.
So, here are steps on how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without remote using your iPhone or iPad;
- Look for the Apple TV Remote Control icon in your device’s control center.
- If the icon is not available on the interface, here is how you can add it;
- Open Settings
- Click on Control Center
- Do you see the Apple TV remote Option? Click on the plus (+) icon.
- Now swipe up to access the control center and click on the remote icon.
- With the Apple TV app open, here is how to use it to control your TV.
- Use the large Touch Area on the top as a trackpad for navigating content, selecting apps, etc.
- Use the volume rockers on your iPhone to boost or reduce the volume of your Apple TV.
- Activate Siri using the Siri button and issue commands.
- Tap the Menu button once to access the previous screen, then long-press it to access the home screen.
- Use the pause/play button to pause or play content.
- Is Apple TV switched off? Use the Ethernet to connect it to the internet and switch it on
- Then to connect to a WiFi network, go to:
- Select the network and enter the correct password to connect.
2. Bluetooth Keyboard Works Too!!!
If you misplaced your Apple TV remote but own a Bluetooth keyboard? You are still in luck. Here is how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without remote using your Bluetooth keyboard.
- Turn on both the Apple TV and the Bluetooth Keyboard
- Make sure both devices are in pairing mode
- Not sure how to access pairing mode through your Apple TV? Here is how to connect your Bluetooth keyboard to your Apple TV using the below steps;
- Open the apple tv remote app on your iPhone
- Go to settings
- Open remotes and device
- Turn on Bluetooth on your apple TV
- Scan for nearby devices
- Select the keyboard from the list of Bluetooth devices it detects
- Enter the pair of both devices using the pairing code displayed on the screen.
- Having paired successfully, you can now use the arrow and return keys to control the Apple TV and connect it to your WiFi network.
- If a Bluetooth keyboard is unavailable, your Mac’s keyboard can do the job with the aid of an app called “Typeeto.”
3. Use Your MacBook – A Good Alternative
No Bluetooth keyboard is available, but you have a Macbook. Well, here is how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without remote using your Macbook.
- First, turn off your iPhone’s cellular data and WiFi connection.
- Then connect it to your MacBook
- Connect your Apple TV to your TV set using HDMI
- Also, connect the TV to your Mac using a USB-C dongle and an Ethernet Cable
- Power up the Apple TV
- On your MacBook, go to:
- Selection section
- Sharing and under the “Share your connection from these” section, Select WiFi
- Under the field box using a computer, check Thunderbolt Ethernet and iPhone USB.
- Also, check “internet sharing.”
- Open the Apple TV Remote from the control center on your iPhone. Ensure the application identifies your Apple TV.
- Click the displayed Pin on your TV to connect.
- Now download Typeeto software on your Mac to use it as a Bluetooth keyboard.
- Go to your iPhone’s remote feature to manage your Apple TV and connect your Mac as a Bluetooth device with your iPhone. You can do this by going to:
- Select Settings
- Bluetooth and Devices.
- Unplug the Ethernet cable from your Apple TV.
- Use your Macbook to control the Apple TV. The keyboard arrows let you move in any direction, while the escape and enter let you exit or access options, respectively.
4. Standard TV Remote? Works Still!
If you have a TV remote control with conventional navigation keys (left, right, up, and down), connecting Apple TV to WiFi is half-solved.
So, how do you control your Apple TV using a standard TV remote? Here is how;
- Using an Ethernet cable, connect your Apple TV to the internet.
- Using the remote feature on your iPhone, go to.
- Remotes on the Apple TV
- Choose the learn remote option and teach the Apple TV the basic controls of your standard TV remote
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from your Apple TV
- Now to enable WiFi, go to;
- Configure WiFi using a standard TV remote
- You can continue using your standard TV remote to control your Apple TV once it connects to the new WiFi Network.
5. Sharing WiFi Passwords with iOS Device
Sharing your WiFi passwords is another way if you don’t how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without remote. However, ensure your connection is secure to prevent data theft and other security risks.
So, how do you achieve password sharing? First, your iOS has to be 9.0 or later versions.
If your device meets this criterion, the next thing to do is transfer your credentials to your Apple TV. This includes password and WiFi network SSID to your Apple TV. Also, ensure you carry out the transfer securely, to boycott Smart home security risks.
Turn on your Apple TV and wait for the start-up screen. However, ensure that both the Bluetooth and WiFi are active on your iOS device.
Once the start-up screen is on, touch your iOS device to the Apple TV box. Then follow the onscreen instructions prompting you on what to do next.
This article provides you with a great guide on how to connect Apple TV to WiFi without remote. We believe that in this era of smart home ecosystems, losing your Apple TV remote shouldn’t stop you from enjoying your TV.
So now that you know how to circumvent the remote issue, go watch your favorite TV show.
Can I Use Apple TV on any TV?
Yes, you can use Apple TV on any TV as long as the TV set features an HDMI port.
How Do I Connect my iPhone to Apple TV?
Utilize your Apple ID to log in. Select Set Up with iPhone to immediately add your Apple ID and WiFi settings to your Apple TV. Follow the onscreen instructions on your iPhone and Apple TV after unlocking your phone and placing it next to the latter.
Is There an App to Replace Apple TV Remote?
The Apple TV Remote App offers the same functionality as the physical Apple TV remote. All you need to do is download the app from the App Store. Besides, before using it, ensure both the iPhone and Apple TV are on the same WiFi network.